The miracles brought by earlier Prophets had been transient, so to say, and for that very reason, rapidly forgotten, while that of the verses of the Holy Qur'an may be called "The Permanent Miracle." Its activity has been unceasing. Everywhere and at all hours, each believer, by reciting the verses, helped to realize the miracle, and can be found to be the explanation of many conversions, incomprehensible to the European who unfortunately knows little or nothing of the Qur'an. He may also judge it on the bases of inaccuracies fed to him through anti-Islamic media. The wonderful charm of this Book, resembling no other masterpiece of the literature of mankind, need not be explained to us, Muslims, because we consider that it emanates from the words of Allah Himself, sent down through the mouth of His prophet.
In this connection, it may be interesting to quote the opinion of Savary, a celebrated Orientalists, who was the first to translate the meaning of the Holy Qur'an into French. He says, "Muhammad can be known through the study of his language, the richest and the most harmonious in the world, and which by the composition of its verses, permits thoughts as they soar to be correctly described
poets were greatly looked up to in Arabia.
Labid Ibn Rabyah, an illustrious poet, nailed one of his poems on the door of the Temple of Makkah (Al Ka'bah). His reputation and the value of his work kept all competitors away. None came forward to compete for the prize. The second chapter of the Qur'an was then placed by the side of the poem. Labid, although a worshipper of graven images, was seize with a fit of admiration after reading the first verses and confessed himself vanquished".
He became a convert very soon after and one day, his admirers being desirous of gathering together his complete works, questioned him of this subject. 'I have no recollection of any of my poetry,' he replied, 'for my entire memory has been absorbed by the verses of the Book of Revelation'.
As for the Arab of Hijaz, comprehending the most subtle hints of the language of the Qur'an - his own language - and who welcomed the Surahs as they came out from the lips of his fellow - countryman: the genial, inspired Messenger of Allah (PBUH), that listener was overwhelmed by such sudden surprise that he remained as if petrified. Could this supernatural language come from Muhammad (PBUH), known to be illiterate and possessing no other knowledge than that due to nature and intuition? This seemed perfectly impossible. The Arab was therefore forced to admit that Muhammad's words were dictated by the Almighty.
Utbah Ibn Rabiyah, one of the noted idolaters - known for his mastery of Arabic - having heard some verses of the Qur'an from Muhammad, said to his companions, "By our gods! I've never heard anything like it before. It is neither poetry, nor sorcery, nor magic."
Allah had challenged idolaters several times to imitate the Qur'an or compose ten Surahs or even a Surah resembling His: If thou art in doubt about what We have revealed unto Our servant, then bring one Surah like it of thy devising and call to thy aid thy witnesses beside Allah, if ye are men of truth. (Qur'an 2:23).
Eloquent men of letters, Arab and others, could not stand up to the challenge for fourteen centuries.
Besides the literary miracle, there is the legislative miracle which becomes clear after reviewing man-made laws during the thirty past centuries - that is, since the existence of historical records which can be referred to up to the present.
We take for example the contemporary laws which are claimed to be the most mature in human history owing to the tremendous development in human knowledge, and scientific and material progress. Both blocs, Eastern and Western deny man's complete submission to Allah's Law. So legislation in the Capitalist West is for the sake of capitalism at the expense of the working class, and in the Communist East in the interest of the ruling power at the expense of the people, which means that justice is missing in both laws. In the Western bloc, constitutions are interested mostly in the political aspect of the people's life; in the Communist block in the economic aspect.
Both neglected completely the spiritual, ethical and family codes. Western laws consider the individual so holy that they cause the community to disintegrate morally and socially, whereas the communist constitution sanctifies the community (in fact, the State) in such a way to crush the individual's character.
The constitution of both blocs do not lay down firm international laws; they are changed according to political circumstances. Besides, the moral element is either missing or very weak in most of those constitutions; the interests of the ruling class are always dominant.
In contrast, the miracle of the Qur'anic Legislation is easily obvious. At the very beginning, the Qur'an decides that Allah alone is entitled to legislate. This proves the justice of this legislation because Allah has no interest in making people commit mistakes or partiality to one class or against another. Allah is also Well - Aware of the welfare of His creatures, who would be ruled by His Law on the basis of equality.
The Qur'anic Law comprehends all fields of human life with the same degree of importance. The Qur'an has never neglected any aspects of life, nor has it allowed one aspect to outbalance others. The phenomenon of comprehensiveness and balance is one of the most outstanding features of Islam and Islamic Legislation in all domains. There is a complete balance between the individual and society, for both have rights and duties and neither has a sacred existence at the expense of the other. Allah is the Lord of all, and all are equal in His service.
The Islamic Law includes fixed international codes in peace and war. The moral element is an essential part of law whether in politics, economics, society, family organization, or individual relations and transactions.
An example of the Islamic application of law is that relating to the prohibition of liquors. All civilized countries couldn't stop liquor addiction. But the Islamic community is the only one in which liquor drinking has lessened to the lowest degree because the Islamic Law is based on belief, while non-Islamic Laws are based on power.
Another aspect of the Qur'anic miracle is the scientific one. The Qur'an spoke about universal and scientific facts unknown to Arabs or any other nation at the time of its revelation. It is only lately that science has discovered some of those facts.
This proves unmistakably that Allah is the Revealer of the Qur'an and no man could ever compose it. In fact, the Qur'an is not a book for teaching chemistry, geometry or medicine; rather it is a Book of Guidance. Yet it points to the Laws of Creation and facts of science. Allah, the Creator of man and everything, has told that He would uncover to men, especially learned men and scientists, the clear signs in the Qur'an in order that they may prove the truthfulness of the Message of Islam.
Soon will we show them Our Signs in the furthest regions of the earth and in their own souls, until it becomes manifest to them that this is the truth. It is not enough that thy Lord doth witness all things? (Qur'an 41:53).
1. We made from water every living thing. (Qur'an 21:30). Water is essential for life. No other liquid is suitable for biological interactions. It has been proven by some researchers that some bacterial can live without air, but not without water.
2. And verily, in the cattle, there is a lesson for you. We give you to drink of that which is in their bellies, from between excretions and blood, pure milk: palatable to the drinkers. (Qur'an 16:66). After the recent development of anatomy and magnifying instruments, biologists studied milk formation and found that digestive enzymes change food into excretions that flow through the small intestines, where blood vessel absorb dissolved alimentary substance which is carried by blood to the lactic glands that absorb lactic matter from between excretions and blood as mentioned in the Qur'anic verse.
3. The Qur'an points to the stage of embryonic development in the womb: Man We did create from a quintessence of clay; Then We placed him as a drop of sperm in a place of rest, firmly fixed; Then We made the sperm into a clot of congealed blood; then of that clot We made (fetus) lump; then We made out of the lump bones and clothed the bones with flesh; then We developed out of another creature. So blessed be Allah, the Best to create! (Qur'an 23:12-1). Foetal science and anatomy have discovered those states of creation only in the present age.
4. Those whom Allah (in His plan) willeth to guide. He openeth their breast to Islam who He willeth to leave straying, He maketh their breast close and constricted as if they had to climb up to the skies. (Qur'an 6:125). After man was able to fly and go up in the upper layers of atmospheric air, he discovered that the higher he went up, the less oxygen and atmospheric pressure there would be, which would cause a great difficulty in breathing and constriction in the bosom. That is what the verse has stated thirteen centuries before the flight of man.
5. Or the unbelievers state is like the depths of darkness in a vast deep ocean, overwhelmed with billow topped by billow, topped by (dark) clouds; depths of darkness, one above another, (Qur'an 24:20). Before AD 1900, people had known only one kind of wave seen on the sea's surface. Scandinavian sailors cam late to discover a fact hidden in the ocean depths where there is another kind of waves which tosses divers as the upper waves that toss swimmers. Allah revealed this fact unto the illiterate Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) who had never seen the sea in his life, about fourteen centuries ago.
6. Does man think that We cannot assemble his bones? Nay, We are able to put together in perfect order the very tips of his fingers. (Qur'an 75:3-4). Which is more difficult: the re-creation of bones or fingertips? Both may look the same at the first look. But the fact is that no man's fingertips are similar to those of another. So fingerprints have been used to recognize character. Only in this age has science discovered the true meaning of the indication in these verses.